Wednesday, November 16, 2011

'Tis the Season...

It's the middle of November, and a certain familiar tightness is finding it's way into my heart and winding it's way around my stomach. When Halloween decorations give way to Christmas commercials (because Thanksgiving is just not a marketable holiday unless you are a grocery store) I start to get a little breathless, my heart starts to beat a little faster...and my anxiety level starts to climb into the stratosphere.

It's not that I don't love the holidays. I do. I was named after the Christmas holidays (thanks, Mom!). I even chose to get married the week before Christmas in 2000. My childhood memories of the holiday season are of magical days and events that started the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as we drove to St. Joseph, MO or Quincy, IL to celebrate with my extended family and didn't end until we were banging wooden spoons against skillets and pots outside our front door at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. Food and love was and is prevalent at all Pryor/Rich celebrations, and family is the theme.

Fast forward 20 years, and now I have a family of my own. We have our own traditions to establish, our own memories to make. And just about this time every year I start to get nervous: can I possibly give my kids the magical experience of my childhood? Will they feel as special and as loved as I did (and still do)? How can I squeeze these new memories and traditions in with the old ones that are still an integral part of my family's mode of celebration? Honestly, I wonder each year how I can keep my sanity and schedule without leaving anything or anyone out, and without hurting anyone's feelings or making anyone angry. Keeping everything organized and everyone included often leaves me drained, stressed and exhausted. And definitely not in a festive holiday mood. I feel like Oz behind the curtain, making the magic but not getting to be a part of it.

So...this year, I am going to make some holiday 2011 resolutions. I am going to celebrate the madness, the disorganization, the chaos. as part of the joy. I am going to try to cut myself a little slack. I am going to remind myself that I can't be everywhere and do everything, and that I might have to make some hard choices to save my energy and sanity for my kids (and my husband!)...and that despite my best efforts I am probably going to upset someone at some point. I might have to forgo some old traditions that don't "fit" anymore to make room for those that do.

Santa's cookies might be break-and-bake this year, and I might not be able to attend every event on my calendar. But, I will be PRESENT, I will slow down and enjoy, and I might even find a moment for myself.

When 2011 gives way to 2012, I want to look back over November and December with a reminiscent smile, not an exasperated sigh. And, most of all, I want to be a part of the magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment