Monday, November 28, 2011

Sign of the Times

I am fortunate at my job to have my own office, located within a larger office that houses the therapy staff. I am also fortunate to have a terrific job, where I have the honor of working with a group of incredibly talented people (I can gush here because don't think that most of them know I write a blog--and I really hope they already know how great I think they are anyway!). On my office door is a half wipe-off board/half cork board thing on which I post the monthly schedules for the department. Everyone checks this spot at least once a week. When I first started working at my desk, I noticed that the corkboard side was getting quite a workout holding the schedules and the wipe-off board was looking a little neglected and sad. I felt sorry for that blank, empty space that was taking up real estate next to the corkboard. So, I wrote a funny little quote in the whiteness and every week I change the message.

For those of you that know me as Holly Rich, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise, as I come by this quote obsession quite naturally. My dad has been posting random snippets on the First Baptist Church sign in my hometown for over 35 years. I remember going out to help hand him letters when I was a little girl, and watched him get creative when he ran out of letters for a quote and had to improvise (in a pinch, an extra "E" can be bent to make a "C"). He would measure the spacing of the letters so everything was centered the way that it should be. I think I probably learned as much about spelling and grammer from my church-sign making dad as I did from my kindergarten-teacher mom.

Some of the quotes were funny, some were thought-provoking and others were spiritual--some were a combination of the three. Through the years as my dad became infamous for his signs he would receive phone calls, letters, and e-mails from people sharing their favorite signs my dad posted and friends would also share notes offering their own sightings of signs they had seen on their travels.

I remember my dad coming back into the house in the winter, his cheeks red and freezing from the hour that he had spent outside in single-digit temperatures, changing the church sign (did I mention that there are TWO sides to the sign, with two separate snippets each week?). Or putting up the sign "If you think it's hot here...just wait" sign in triple-digit temps. Dad has never received any compensation for the hours (at this point, probably MONTHS) that he has spent at the sides of those signs. And I am sure he wouldn't want to. Why in the world would such a tedious task be worth it?

Perhaps he has a hidden agenda. Although, in a small town--or even in some large ones--there is little that stays hidden for long. Perhaps it's a way to voice a political view or make a big statement. Nope, my dad could simply care less about any of that. Not that he doesn't have opinions, I am sure that he does. He's just not the kind of guy that thinks his opinions are any more relevant or any more entitled than anyone else's. If he were forced to put his personal creed on that sign, I am sure one side would read "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength" and the opposite side would read "Love your neighbor as yourself." And he would have borrowed those quotes as well.

I asked my dad once why he began changing the church sign, and he said that when he started attending the church the deacons had mentioned that they needed someone to change the sign, and that no one else volunteered. And 35+ years later he is stil devoted to that mission. Some are called to teach, some to preach...others to put metal letters in grooves.

For that moment when a person reads a sign, they make the choice of how to apply or dismiss what they have read. Regardless, that moment challenges the reader to stop and think. To stop and appreciate. To stop and smile. To connect with others who might have read the sign and had the same reaction. To appreciate the message for whatever it means personally, and to realize that it might have a completely different meaning for the next reader. To appreciate the growth and acceptance that comes with realizing that different interpretations are okay. And suddenly, in that light, putting metal letters into grooves becomes just as profound as the greatest of teachings or the loftiest of sermons.

And so, it is with great pride and a smile that each week I write a new quote on the wipe-off board outside my office. To encourage, to challenge, to inspire, to motivate, to cheer, to connect. Thanks, Dad, from your biggest fan.

2 comments:

  1. This was great... and good timing. :) I always think about that sign... it always made me think. And for that, much thanks to your dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read that sign! The weekly message has often given me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete