Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Amazing Race

I watched an rerun episode of The Amazing Race the other day on TV. It was much like any other episode, where teams of two people go on a scavenger hunt of sorts in foreign territory--hoping to be the first to finish that portion, or stage, of the race. The worst fate goes to the team that comes in last, and they are eliminated from the race.

Most days, I feel like my daily routine is a crazy real-life version of this show. I wake up, try to get myself ready and the kids appropriately dressed for whatever crazy weather we will have on that particular day and get everyone to daycare on time. Stage one accomplished. Then, navigate rush hour to get into the parking garage before someone takes my spot. Stage two accomplished. Leave work at just the right moment as to not look like I am sneaking out early but still have enough time to drive home, pick up Maryn and meet Pryor as he gets off the bus. Stage three complete. Then on to helping Pryor with homework as I make dinner and make sure Maryn doesn't tear something to shreds or eat something she isn't supposed to. Stage 4 down. Ask Will and Jim how their day was as I get the plates on the table. Scarf down dinner as I remind my boys for the nineteenth time that the two choices for dinner are "take it" or "leave it" and that I am not starving them if I only serve them grilled chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes, all while I try to avoid wearing whatever puree du jour I am feeding Maryn. Sports, school activities, church, and a million other "stages" must be completed, in a synchronization that would impress NASA, before I can fall into bed. Sometimes the stages are completed in "foreign" territory--the hardware store, the lawn and flower place, the paint store...and I might not even know the language if I have to go by Dick's or Best Buy.

I probably lose as many stages of this race as I win each week. Appointments are missed, practices are forgotten, homework is misplaced. And sometimes I feel like I am out of the game completely. And then I remember my favorite part of any track and field day when I was in school: no matter how well I did, even if I didn't place at all, if I just finished the race--I got a participation ribbon. Thank God for the participation ribbon. Thank God that sometimes just finishing the race is enough for the reward and I get to compete again tomorrow. Thank God there is no elimination in this race.

And I know this race is completed a million times over by every working mom in America, every day. Oh, and by the way...EVERY mom is a working mom--it doesn't matter whether she goes to work outside the home or inside it each day. And what is our reward? A million dollars? All-expenses paid vacations? Fame and fortune? Nope, our reward is that we get to do it all again tomorrow. And the craziest part of the whole "amazing race?" It's totally worth it. For the moments when I can get my kids to sing along with me in the car as I drive from one event to the next. For the smile on my husband's face when I remember to cook his favorite meal after I know he's had a rough day. For the "thanks, Mom" that is rare but unsolicited. Amazing? Definitely!

And the blessing that I get to race again tomorrow is perfection in the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment